Monthly Archives: January 2004
do good people exist?
or are they simply people whose faults you don’t know yet? or people who are better at surpressing their bad nature?
do good people exist?
man! it’s not safe to put anything up on the web. apparently a friend of the materialistic girl (though she vehemently denies being one =P) i’d mentioned a few days back stumbled upon the site and recognised the person i was describing. wow!
i’d better go back to my old entries and delete all those mention of BGs and stuff already… *gulp* later i find MSD (Military Security Department) knocking at my door…
watched Fight Club today. it was really really good. way better than expected. what would one expect out of a movie titled ‘fight club’ anyway? especially with a bar of soap as its mascot. hmm.
i like clever movies. The Usual Suspects. Memento. A Beautiful Mind. Matchstick Men. Minority Report. and not forgetting the first of its type i remember watching, The Sixth Sense. (i’m linking to them because i’m recommending them, btw. go catch them if you haven’t already!)
it’s more than just about having a surprise ending, i think. somehow… to me, they’re just good. i dunno how. there’s probably some criterion somewhere. like i watched Identity this evening, but was hardly impressed. it had one of those surprise ending things as well, but i just wasn’t impressed by it. oh well.
having time to watch movies at home is real schweet!
(of cny eve, anyway)
1) i really like tony leung now, after the infernal affairs trilogy. i was watching some crappy chinese movie on tv earlier (some love story featuring feng shui and stuff), but quite enjoyed it because tony was in it. haha. those eyes! wow. emotive.
2) a single day sure passes quickly. i’m now left with four days of holiday to ‘spend’.
3) bolsters. where the heck do they come from? they don’t seem western, but i don’t think the ancient chinese hugged soft lumpy things (aside from their spouses) to bed either. recent chinese thing, or a southeast asian thing, or what? it’s one of my favourite objects (the pillow ranking higher, though), and i was suddenly curious for some reason one day.
4) i’ve been thinking up ways to keep myself going. but those aren’t really what keeps me going. i’ve been asking myself all this time how to push myself on, but i still don’t know why i’m going on. what keeps me going? i only know i want to go on. i don’t know why. i think that answering that fundamental question would be one step taken in really understanding myself. hmm.
5) rashes suck.
6) the exchange rate for the Pound has been going up and up. at this rate, i’d be opting for york rather than london due to financial reasons!
7) is it just me, or are many of the recent mediacorp shows (chan8 dramas anyway) like propaganda tools? like the SARS show (tribute to the heroes!), the quadruplets show (graduates, go forth and multiply!). and now there’s this 9 o’clock show which has some graduate taxi driver. i’m not sure what exactly the propagandic message is, but it serves as at least a social commentary. i think. elitism and all.
8) elitism – The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.
meritocracy – A system in which advancement is based on individual ability or achievement.
singapore’s is a meritocrac society. is it then a surprise that elitism is so widespread? heck, i’m a bit of an elitist myself. i strive to ignore people’s background at all, but i find myself thinking of people in ‘classes’…. jc/poly, ite, etc etc. my fault, or the government’s? after all, these distinctions do already exist. i’ve no idea.
9) coffee sucks.
10) it’s time to sleep. i think there were other random thoughts out there, but i’ve lost them by now. oh well. dreamhunting time!
hooray! i’m out from tonight to sunday night! that’s 5 whole days! hooray! i love my bed.
was taking a look at the jobscope of the Singapore Administrative Service. it’s like, fwoah. i’d previously known it only as some organisation of elites with uber pay, but wow. never knew they had an actual official pool of people to do these stuff.
reading it actually tickled the little (almost non-existent) tendrils of ambition within my heart. money! important job! what’s there not to like? but then logic kicked in. at this moment, i am nowhere near the quality required for the admin service. i’m not even sure if i’d do well in the job i’d get in moe. i’d probably just screw the country up. haha. especially since, well, i know next to nothing about public administration. and little about current events. and well, everything.
maybe one day, though. another item to add to my list of possible long-term goals.
met up with a friend earlier. we were just talking and somehow the issue of big houses and everything popped up. apparently she’d visited Queen Astrid Park recently (yeah that’s right, that’s the most expensive property on the sg edition of Monopoly) and was totally awed by the houses there.
then she said something which left me totally shocked. she said she’d wanted a comfortable life. that i don’t disagree with – who doesn’t? but she’d actually named a figure. by marriage, combined total assets amounting to $4m. i was like, whoah.
let’s give ten years to accumulate the wealth? even assuming monthly savings of $10k, you’d end up with only… 1/4? of that amount. and that’s kinda assuming a lot already. it’s still possible, i guess, with the magic of compounding and previous wealth and all. still. i find it extremely hard to imagine.
1) are all females so materialistic these days?
1a) are the guys this materialistic?
2) is my friend likely to get married? =P
why. what do you know? i got a raise! apparently i’ve got +$20 after one year of service. so i now get $390 instead of $370. hooray! i get $40 more than the rest of the recruits! haha. too bad most of that $40’s probably gonna be eaten up because of my (2? 3?) days of disruption. ah heck, it was worth it!